In the Beauty of Holiness
The music ministry of Saint Martin’s Church serves as the musical heart of Sunday worship. The Chancel Choir sings most frequently at the 10 a.m. Holy Eucharist from September to May. The ministry also incorporates instrumentalists who play flute, brass, harp, violin and other instruments.
Special offerings of choral music are made in the seasons of Advent and Christmas, as well as on Ash Wednesday, Holy Week and at Easter. Choral presentations often include solos, duets and trios. The repertoire is classical and classical-contemporary with an emphasis on supporting the congregational singing from the Episcopal Hymnal 1982.
The Saint Martin’s Chancel Choir seeks to glorify God by offering a variety of worship music in the classical and choral tradition. The choir participates in the Eucharistic services of the church, mainly in the 10 a.m. gathering each Sunday from September through May. The choir also supports holy day services, including Christmas Eve, Seasonal Lessons and Carols, Ash Wednesday and Holy Week services, and an occasional community evensong.
As a worship leadership group, membership in the choir is open to those who are eager to work together, grow and learn, forming a sense of community both musically and spiritually. Our choir is a hard-working and caring. Our mission is always to bring the people of God closer to God through music.
Our Choir Director is Lyric Baritone Vocalist and conductor Timothy C. Cochran, who received his Master of Music degree from the Cleveland Institute of Music, studying with Irvin Bushman, and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Tim has performed lead roles in Il Barbiere di Siviglia, Die Fledermaus, Carmen, Hansel & Gretel, The Telephone, Riders to the Sea, The Mother of us All, Amahl & the Night Visitors, HMS Pinafore, The Gondoliers, The Mikado, Pirates of Penzance, Civilization and Its’ Discontents, Jacques Brel and the Ohio premiers of Ligeia and Regina. Tim was the Baritone soloist at Trinity Cathedral, Cleveland, where he performed major works with the Trinity Chamber Orchestra and Chorus. As Associate Director of Music at Trinity he conducted the Children’s Choirs, the Cathedral Choir, and the Trinity Chamber Orchestra. He performed with the Robert Page/Cleveland Singers, and the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh as a professional core singer. Tim was soloist in concerts with the Choral Arts Society under the direction of Martin Kessler performing works by Scarlatti, J.S. Bach and Handel. Timothy has also composed new works such as his Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis which premiered at Trinity Cathedral in 2004, and a Christmas Motet in 2005. He was the Director of Choirs at North Royalton United Methodist Church from 2013-2017. Tim is also the director of the Trinity High School Marching Band, and assistant director of the MusiGals women’s chorus.
Our organist Renee J. Brown is a well-versed musician specializing in piano, pipe organ, harpsichord, and percussion instruments. She is fluent in performing various musical styles from the Renaissance to Contemporary Christian. She is familiar with the Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, and AME Zion liturgies. She is also experienced in teaching, conducting and rehearsing vocal ensembles. Renee holds a Bachelor of Music degree from Roosevelt University, Chicago, where she majored in Piano Performance and Pedagogy. From 2011 through 2017 she was organist-choir director in Alban’s Episcopal Church, El Cajon, California. She is currently a Science Teacher in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland (Teach for America). She has also served as a Music Teacher in The Music Advantage (after-school program), San Diego. She has taught private and group keyboard, flute, and string instruments in after-school programs, including music notation reading and instrumental skills. As a freelance musician, Renee has also played for weddings, funerals, graduations, in chamber and orchestral music settings, in classical recital accompanying, and for solo performances.
Saint Martin’s is steward to fine musical instruments. Two of the most prominent are the organ and grand piano.
In a description from the time of its installation: “The Saint Martin’s-Miles Park pipe organ was originally designed by Walter Holtkamp, Sr. and built by the Votteler-Holtkamp-Sparling Organ Company in 1934. It was given to Saint Martin’s by Miles Park Presbyterian Church and moved, refurbished, modernized and installed by The Holtkamp Organ Company of Cleveland in 2001. It retains the electro-pneumatic action and most of the original 1200 pipes in 26 ranks with 21 stops. During the renovation two new ranks were added. It now has 1551 pipes in 28 ranks with 23 stops, and continues to be consistent with the baroques organ design principles and sound advocated by its original builder. The addition of the Zymbalstern is a delight to all.” For more information on the organ, click on: http://www.holtkamporgan.com/Pages/Item/123/ar_1041.aspx
In a remembrance about the memorial gift of the piano: “The Yamaha baby grand piano was given by the Marshall family after John’s death in 1987. Mary died in March 2014 at the age of 98. Their only child Thomas is still a member of Saint Martin’s. The Marshalls were founding members of the church. Anyone lucky enough to know the Marshalls knew them as very loving, generous, sharing, funny, quirky and any other loving adjective you would use for a beloved family.”